Using KMLCSV Converter with Google Maps
Note: This tutorial is based on 2.2.0 release.
- Go to Google Maps.
- Click “My Maps”, then “Get Started”.
- Sign in with your Google account.
- Create a title for the folder. In this example, I called it “Seattle”. Then, click “Done”.
- Search the point of interest.
- Click on the marker, then click “Save to…” and make sure you save into the folder you have just created.
- Go back to “My Maps”, then “Seattle”. You should see the point of interested you have just saved. In this example, I added a few more POIs.
- Click on “Link”, then copy the generated link.
- Append &output=kml at the end of the link. For example:
- Launch KMLCSV Converter.
- If this is your first time using this software, click on the “Configure” button on top left to open the dialog.
- In the “Configuration” dialog, you must specify the watched folder that contains your KML and CSV files. At this stage, you can tweak any settings based on your preferences. If you have Google Earth or Garmin POI Loader installed in your computer, you can set up the application path here too for quick access.
- Now, you shall see your KML files appearing in the “Watched Folder”. You can drop more files into this folder, then click on the “magnifying glass” icon to rescan the “Watched Folder”.
- Now, double click the KML file to want to convert to CSV file. The file content will be displayed in the table. The console log will inform you where the file will be created. This is particularly useful when you specified in the configuration not to overwrite the file. Click “Create File” button to generate the CSV file.
- The status for each placemark will be updated, and the CSV file will be displayed in the Watched Folder.
- Now, you are ready to feed this CSV file into your Garmin GPS.
- You need to download the free Garmin POI Loader.
- Once installed, attach your Garmin GPS.
- Then follow the provided instruction to upload the CSV file into your Garmin GPS.
- Finally, you should see the POIs loaded under “Custom POIs” category.
- You are all set for traveling!